Friday, September 21, 2007

Jena, When You Are Six

We don't watch the news before our children's bedtimes. Little Bun listens too closely. But when we got in the car today I didn't realize it was set to talk radio -- Daddy had driven the car last. I immediately got caught up in coverage of the Jena Six and before I realized it, Little Bun was caught up in it too. I only realized it when he said: "I'm glad Miss I and I don't hit each other -- you wouldn't know if it was a 'race thing.'"
More seriously, he asked what a family like ours would possibly do in a place like Jena.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I am disgusted with the whole thing. I am disgusted that some stupid white kids felt it was okay that they hung nooses in trees. I'm disgusted that they were only suspended and not given a stiffer punishment at school. I'm saddened that the AA kids attacked a white kid and nearly beat him to death. I'm sad that these kids committed a crime but thousands of people think they should get off because they were taunted first.

Mostly I'm sad that in 2007 we are still fighting racial issues in this country and that the south in some places is still as divided as it was sixty years ago.