Thursday, September 04, 2008

The joke will be on us

I thought they were kidding about the proximity to Russia as foreign policy expertise. Apparently, it wasn't meant to be funny.
Please, oh please, read the transcript of Charles Gibson's interview of John McCain. Here's an excerpt.

GIBSON: But as you know, the questions revolve really around foreign policy experience.

Can you honestly say you feel confident having someone who hasn't traveled outside the United States until last year, dealing with an insurgent Russia, with an Iran with nuclear ambitions, with an unstable Pakistan, not to mention the war on terror?

MCCAIN: Sure. And one of the key elements of America's national security requirements are energy. She understands the energy issues better than anybody I know in Washington, D.C., and she understands.

Alaska is right next to Russia. She understands that.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I don't think that McCain was saying she was a Russian expert because Alaska is next to Russia. He was just commenting on how important Energy is to the whole situation and how she gets that.

Her lack of knowledge in the foreign arena does give me pause considering she'll be right next door to the presidency. but of course I adore her so......

Ariella said...

First of all I am NOT a fan of SP, but McCain's statement that she is ready to be VP during a crisis because she understands energy importance and Russia is near Alaska, that is just ridiculous. By that statement I could be our VP because I live in CA and am near Mexico!

Anonymous said...

umm... after the interview, I must say I am concerned.