Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Hope and Joy

I wish I had something prepared for this occasion, but despite the fact that I looked forward to this moment, I suppose part of me didn't actually think it would come.
Two things that strike me as just right, and what's right with America:
1. Obama won by a clear majority. No hanging chads, no court cases, no conspiracies, no electoral college upsets, no last ditch smears (not sincere efforts at "October surprises, anyway). If you believe in democracy, you have to accept the outcome -- even if you don't like it.
2. McCain's concession speech was genuine and gracious, and a reminder of the McCain so many would have wanted to see elected. Pre-shoring up the base, real deal McCain who has been friends with Joes Lieberman and Biden (pre-Joe the Plumber) would've made a worthier opponent.
One thing that's right with the world:
A national holiday in Kenya today.
One thing that Joe got right:
It didn't take long for a test to present, in this case for Russia to react.
Really, Russia? What, three hours?

2 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

I couldn't agree with you more with all that you say.

My husband, who at one time would've liked to vote for McCain but in the end came to believe in Obama said of John McCain's concession speech, "Now that's the McCain that I remember. If he would've spoke like that throughout his campaign, he might have won."

I can't help but wonder if McCain and Biden have any semblance of friendship remaining after such hostile campaign efforts. For their sake, I hope so.

Anonymous said...

Such a remarkable day in America. A new dawn and a hope that brings tears to my eyes every time I think about my daughter knowing that she will grow and flourish under this President, a President whose very image will serve as a constant reminder that all things are possible with her...and more than the symbolic, a President whose policies and ideals will inspire us and nurture us for years to come.

keely